Virgin Chrysoleontissa Monastery
The Monastery of Panagia Chrysoleontissa built in the early 17th century, has high walls and looks more like a fortress.
This construction was done because of the monks fear for pirates. There is a large door, through which one can communicate with the Monastery. It is a large 2 floors building with a courtyard in the center, where there are the church and a 3 floors tower.
The tower was built around 1600. The church is newer and built around 1800, in place of the older one which burned.
In the church there is the icon of Chrysoleontissa. The monastery was very rich and once owned most of the island. During the 19th century most monastic estates were expropriated and the monks fled.